Sunday, October 30, 2005

Daylight Savings & Drawing Class

Hi there,

You will be pleasantly surprised that it's daylight savings time.."Fall - fall back an hour, Spring - spring ahead an hour." I awoke this morning to all the digital clocks in my apt blinking "12:00am, 12:00am" when it clearly was not. Silly clocks! They're so flirty and mysterious.

Ok, so here's last Wed's class drawings.

Alex (the teacher) decided to make things entertaining by having kids from the class model for 10 minute portraits. There was a tiered stage in the center of the room, with a leather chair for a person to sit in. Floor lights we angled in the general direction of the seat, and all the workhorses that we sit on were angled toward it, too. There were mirrors to each side of the sitter, so if anyone got bored, they could pick a new angle of someone's face without moving from their spot. Genius! It was a lot of fun. Alex turned off the lights, called random people up to model, reset the lights for each face, and we all drew in little 10 minute bursts. These are six out of eight that were done - two are missing because I totally hate one that I messed up on and am not confident to share, and the other one is missing because I was the model.

These are all soft vine charcoal or compressed charcoal on sketchpaper (18"x24" originally, but I cropped for asthetics/brevity). Names are left out because I'm horrible at names, and I don't want to offend anyone if I get it wrong, and they see this. However, most of the kids in this class are pretty nice, and I wish there was more time to talk in class while you draw.

Charcoal of Classmate01 - 10 min
Charcoal Portrait, Classmate 1

 Charcoal of Classmate02 - 10 min
Charcoal Portrait, Classmate 2

Charcoal of Classmate03 - 10 min
Charcoal Portrait, Classmate 3

Charcoal of Classmate04 - 10 min
Charcoal Portrait, Classmate 4

Charcoal of Classmate05 - 10 min
Charcoal Portrait, Classmate 5

 Charcoal of Classmate06 - 10 min
Charcoal Portrait, Classmate 6

2 comments:

  1. Hey classmate 3 looks a bit like me. And classmate 2 looks like that guy who plays "Mr. Bean". LOL. :-) Cool Thanks for sharing your drawings and your encouragement. You rock! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very good! Yay, thanks for posting your stuff. I can't wait to see what you draw for my NaNoWriMo novel.

    ReplyDelete